Early last year I went to Taipei to attend some cooking class and baking class for 3 weeks. I always go to this bakery shop to buy all my baking utensils and ingredients if I visit Taipei . I also attend a few demo class from this bakery retail shop, they invite chef from different hotel and bakery shop to conduct the class.
Below is one of the class that I had attend during my trip and here's the recipe.
Japanese Marble Chiffon
112g Salad Oil
150g Orange Juice
150g Egg Yolk
180g Plain Flour
4g Baking Powder
300g Egg White
2.5g Tartar Powder
Coco Paste Ingredients:
8g Cocoa Powder
25g Hot Water
25g Salad Oil
10g Egg Yolk
- (Use Hand Mix) In a mixing bowl mix salad oil, orange juice & vanilla essence, sift in the flour and baking powder and mix evenly.
- Add in the egg yolk and mix evenly don't over mix.
- Beat the egg white until they hold soft peaks, add tartar powder and whisk again to stiff peaks but not dry.
- Take a small amount of white egg and add into batter mix and mix well then add in the rest of the egg white and mix well, don't over mix.
- Spoon some of the batter into a separate bowl and stir in the coco mixture.
- Scoop some coco batter into the chiffon tin 6" x 6" (refer to picture 1) then pipe in the plain batter. alternately repeat the step till the top. (refer to picture 2). Then use the spoon to swirl lightly for the marble effect (picture 3).
- Tap on the table to remove any large air bubbles. Bake in preheated oven for 35 to 40mins, or until golden brown and firm to touch.
- After bake invert the cake with the tin and allow to cool before slice.
In a bowl mix coco powder and sugar. Pour the hot water in and stir evenly then add add in salad oil and egg yolk and mix evenly.
Note: This recipe can made 3 - 6" x 6 " chiffon.