Finally, after 4 years I make one of their famous 小吃 which you can find in their night market. Scallion cake 葱油饼 is similar to our local Loti Prata. In Taiwan they wrap with different filling like Ham & Cheese, Egg, Corn , etc... and spread with sweet sauce. Is one of the favourite snack whenever I visit Taiwan I will sure eat it.
Yesterday I make this I goes with Javanese Curry Chicken.
Plain Flour - 400g
Hot Boiling Water - 160g (100ºC)
Tap Water - 160g
Scallion - 80g (chopped)
Oil - 3 tbsp
1. Put flour in a mixing bowl.
2. Boil hot water at 100ºC and pour into the flour, stir to form a loose dough.
3. Slowly add in the cold water.
4. Take out the dough and cover with a damp cloth and let it rise for 20minutes.
5. Divide the dough into 8pcs, cover and let it rest for another 60 minutes.
6. Roll each dough into thin piece and spread oil, salt and chopped scallions.
7. Fold the top third of the dough down and fold the bottom third of the dough up over it.
8. Roll one end to the other end like a spiral shape. Let it rest for another 60 mins.
9. Flatten the dough with the plam and roll flat with a rolling pin.
10. Heat a frying pan, add oil and fry over a medium flame.
11. While frying, pat with a spatula to make loose and crispy. Fry on both sides until golden brown.